Los Footes

Los Footes

Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandpa and Psychedelic rock

My Grandpa Wheeler's 80th birthday is today and we were able to celebrate with him at a party in his honor on Friday.It was a lovely gathering at his building (Wheeler Investments) on the main Wheeler Machinery campus. He is a very popular man and the place was crowded for the whole three hours. I have fond memories of coming to visit Grandpa and Grandma in Salt Lake in the summer time and also going to St. George with them for Thanksgiving. We would also go to his cabin near Park City and snow mobile in the winter or float down the river in tubes in the summer. Grandpa would help us fish there as well and would grill the best cheeseburgers. He taught me how to play jacks and gin and chinese checkers. He recites poems by heart (still!) and has a great sense of humor. I have learned much about generosity through his example and I am so thankful for my relationship with him. Happy Birthday Grandpa!

My parents and my little brother, Ty, came down from Portland to join the party. I haven't seen Ty in a year and we spent Christmas with Jeremy's family (which was really great) so it was fun to him and my folks. They stayed with us and we got to play games, catch up on life, and eat at the Cannon Center, thanks to Hayden. In the hours of talking together, we got to reminiscing about my dad's band from high school and early in college. They produced a 45 in 1970 under the band name "Mid Day Rain." The song here is "Welcome to the Rain," which my dad wrote and in which he played the bass guitar and sang backup vocals. Listen at your own risk though, because it is classified as psychedelic rock. Just kidding. It is a pretty good song. Catchy for sure.

2 comments:

Afton said...

thank you SO MUCH for posting that song. Robert and I really enjoyed listening to it. :)

Debbie said...

I really like that song! It's hard for me to picture your dad in a 70s band...I **really** would like to see a photo! :)