Los Footes

Los Footes

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Opera

Women are tricky.

Knowing my love for good films, my wonderful wife suggested that we watch Amadeus last week. It was fantastic, and rekindled my admiration for Mozart and his miraculous music.

A few days later, Kedra "coincidentally" discovered that Don Giovanni, an opera featured in Amadeus, would be playing at BYU. Recognizing the pro-Mozart mood that Amadeus had effected, Kedra managed to do what would be unthinkable at any other time: She convinced me that we should go to The Opera (said with a posh English accent, of course). While it may have all been a coincidence, I have my suspicions...

Anyway, here are my impressions after my first "night at the opera" - unfortunately, it wasn't quite as enjoyable as the Marx Brothers film of the same name.

The Good: I scored some major points with Kedra. Also, I felt like this guy.













Photo by Monocle

The Bad: I learned that a deep appreciation for instrumental classical music is not a very good predictor for the enjoyment of opera. I just didn't like it. I'm sure that the BYU performers were great, but now I know that opera isn't my thing.

The Ugly: Is this really entertainment?











Photo by Jope 1978

4 comments:

L said...

I'd like to respond to your last question, but I need some clarification - are you asking about his singing or his bare chestedness?

Not that it would change my answer.

- Michael

Leta-Kaye said...

Oh, but you get to dress up all fancy-like to go to the Opera! Er, wait, does that fall under the "bad" list for you?

Hug each other for us!

Clark said...

I couldn't agree more. I don't think anything can prepare you for opera.

The Foote Family said...

That's funny Jer, I could've sworn that WAS a picture of you wearing a monocle to the opera. heehee. Kedra sure was sneaky. (The only opera I have ever been to is Phantom of the Opera and it was dang good!:) Did they have someone there to translate the songs like Brian Reagan talked about in his last routine? I bet that would have made it much more enjoyable for you.