Los Footes

Los Footes

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Online learning




I just have to write about how awesome I think online classes are! I am taking a course on Coursera.org and I am just pumped about it. I finished my bachelor's degree over four years ago, and maybe I've just been itching for some structure that an actual class gives, but I think there are some real pros to online learning. 1. You can learn at your own pace. You can pause, rewind, stop for a second to really make sure the concepts stick.
2. You can learn from some amazing professors. I have a really entertaining professor from Duke, Dr. Mohamed Noor, teaching my class. Jeremy is learning from a Stanford professor, or once a Stanford professor, on Udacity.
3. You can hop online and go to class when you choose. So, if you don't feel like learning one day, or if you are tired at a certain time, you can go to class later.
I used to think that online degrees were the easy way out, but I'm realizing that it is a great way to learn. And recently there have been a lot more websites giving opportunities to take classes, even for free. I wonder how this will change academia in the not too distant future.

No comments: