Los Footes
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Experiment #1
This week for work, I was commissioned to help install an experiment at a location called White Rocks. We were gone two days and the work was hard. To briefly describe the experiment to a lay man, we are interested in what certain treatments have on cheatgrass seeds on burned and unburned areas. So, we have four different treatments that we will apply to five square foot plots. This setup is done five times on two different burned and unburned spots at this location. Basically, this equals a lot of work. We pounded in stakes and 8 inch nails, strung twine around the plots, labeled the plots, distributed seeds and our favorite fungus BFOD (Black fingers of death), and sprayed herbicide. And we also camped, which made it all more fun. I came home pretty sore to a very welcoming husband.
This is a picture of the actual White Rocks that the location is named after. It is a few miles away from our plots.
This is where our plots are. If you look closely, you can see the stakes on the right. The area on the right is burned and the area on the left is unburned.
This is a picture of me by the fire I made.
These are the great people who helped install the experiment. Dr. Susan Meyer (middle) and Dr. Phil Allen (left) are also my bosses. Thanks to Phil, we had a gourmet meal at our campout including halibut, corn on the cob, cheesy black beans, salad with fresh vegetables from Susan's garden, and cake baked in orange peels. Wow, it was a good meal. It was a fun trip. I wished Jeremy could have come. We are setting up this same experiment at a location near Mesquite in three weeks. Details to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You probably don't remember me Kedra...I am an old friend of Adria's from the Springville Ward era. Anyways, I am so impressed with your cool degree and job, and that you got to work with Dr. Allen! I have a horticulture degree from BYU, and Dr Allen was absolutely my favorite professor! Lucky you! :)
Looks like so much fun! :)
Post a Comment